Monday, November 29, 2010

Gillalliath

Chapter Nine of The Archer From Kipleth is finished and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

In this chapter we visit the capital of The Green Hills of Reia, Gillalliath.

I originally called the city Gilead, because I just liked the sound of the word. I knew it was Biblical, but thought it would work. But Gilead just has too many other meanings; it's a title of a rather popular book; it's in a popular song; part of the title of a popular play; and it's the name of a new HIV anti-viral drug. All good things, but too over used for me.

So I came up with Gillalliath.

As the capital of Reia, it's an old city in a part of Wealdland which has had no molestation by the invading garonds. So, it's completely intact from hundreds of years of development. But there is a surprise in store for Halldora when she visits, and a secret lurking beneath the adjacent Lake of Hapaun. A secret which will reveal a larger and more horrific conspiracy.

I had a lot of fun dreaming up this city. It's completely visualized in my mind. And I can tell you, it's a beautiful place to visit. I hope you get to visit there soon, too.

cheers,


Kurt



.

1 comment:

K. J. Hargan said...

Buried deep in my cave in the heart of the Weald, trying to finish The Archer From Kipleth.