Saturday, February 18, 2012

Right here, right now

I received a five star review of The Last Elf of Lanis that was sort of a back-handed compliment, then I felt somewhat insulted, and then my mind started on overdrive, so I knew this was a blog-idea.


The review in question on the Amazon kindle page:


Must Read If You Are Willing to Finish This Series
you might as well stop reading now because the kindle store doesnt even have the last book!! wish me luck TRYING to find the other book. its probably not published yet, but i not that good at that type of stuff!!! lolz <3 me!!




Ok. Ms. Freeman obviously liked my work, but the idea of telling a potential reader "you might as well stop reading now" because the third of the series is not ready yet made me smile, and then frown, and then smile again. Smile; because she clearly likes the trilogy enough to be frustrated that the third isn't available yet. Frown; why would she tell anyone to not enjoy the series??? Smile; because I am reading too much into the notion. She likes the stories and wants all of them now.


And that's where I got to thinking...


I grew up on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. When I finished Frodo's great quest, and Middle Earth passed into the Fourth Age... I WANTED MORE! I read Tolkien's works as a lad, in the late 60's. The Silmarillion didn't come out until 1977. 


I am certain that the desire for MORE is what has motivated almost all writers in the fantasy genre. I will freely admit that it motivated me. "What happens next?" It is supreme frustration for a reader, but a rousing chorus of approval for the writer. Because, someone out there likes my work, and they want MORE.


But think of it...


What of the lucky few who found Tolkien's work AS IT WAS PUBLISHED! What secret joy and feeling of inner power they must have felt to touch those worlds before they became widely understood and accepted. They know that the author is there, just waiting to give you the next book. It's what fans of J. K. Rowling must have felt as the Harry Potter books came out.


So, Ms. Freeman, I salute you. You have made me feel, just a tiny bit, like J. R. R. Tolkien, like J. K. Rowling, like an author that people want MORE from. I'm feeling ten feet tall right about now, so I better close this blog before it gets sappy.


Don't worry, to all of you, there will be MORE, lots MORE...


cheers,


Kurt

No comments: