Thursday, June 12, 2014

Coming up

I don't blog nearly enough.

I feel that if I'm going to write something, it should be whatever I'm working on. so...

Currently, the novel I am very close to completing the first draft of is Magic and Mathematics - Book One: Ancient Science.

Yeah. What a mouthful. But. I'll tell you what. I really think this is the finest thing I've ever written. This book approaches actually literature, transcending the fantasy genre. It's that good.

What's it about?

Iounelle!

Yep. That's right. It's the last elf. We really get into her head and what it's like to be the last of your kind and how her mind and life has evolved as she has chased Mót and his protégé across the centuries. (You'll understand what that means if you've read Legends of Haergill and Conniker's Tale. Ancient Science picks up where that book left off.)


Here's the thing... I am very close to that first draft... like days away. I'll go into second and third drafts right away, and a trusted friend gets to read the early drafts as my second set of eyes.

Normally, you'd then get the book once I'd got some cover art together that I like.

But.

A real honest-to-god publisher has said they want to look at it once it's ready.

Exciting? Yeeeeah. But here's the reality: They will accept the draft I feel is the best I can do, and then they will sit on it for probably months.

Not because they are awful people. Quite the contrary, they are wonderful people who have said they would like to consider publishing the book.


Why the delay? Several people at the publishing house will have to read the book and then give it a yea or nay. And let's face it, they almost certainly have a mountain of other books to read and evaluate.

Will it get published by this professional publishing house? Maybe. Maybe not.

What does that mean? I'm a realist. It means that they may actually read it, and it may be the best book in the world, but because of convergent circumstances, they won't publish it.

That's okay. Once I get the rejection slip, that means I can release the book on my own right away, as I have with all my other books up until now.

What does all this mean to you?

It means a delay. It means we all get to wait until I get the thumbs up or thumbs down.

What if the book gets the thumbs up? It will still have to go through their edits and marketing procedures, which means even more delay.

And hey, maybe Ancient Science will get that thumbs up. I'm confident enough to feel that it is a distinct possibility. But when everything is said and done, it all adds up to a delay for you.

I had hoped to have the book out by July 2014, but now it appears as if the earliest you can have it is sometime in the late autumn of 2014. Maybe later if they want to publish it.

I'm sorry. I know. And, I can't release it on my own while they are considering publishing it. If I do that, this publisher will reject it immediately. They've liked my other books, but since I've released those myself, they are scratched off their publication list.

Why? That's not up to me, and I respect that's how they do business.

Who is this mysterious publishing house? I'd rather not say. This way, if things don't work out between us, you won't have to worry about having any hard feelings about them.

so...

I am sorry. Truly sorry. Ancient Science will make the perfect beach book, but it looks like if it is going to be read on the beach, it's going to be in 2015.


cheers,

Kurt


.

No comments: