Monday, February 14, 2011

coming back to the here and now

It's been four days now since I left Wealdland. The cataclysm at the end of The Archer From Kipleth just wore me out.


But it was worth it.


I really put my head under the last couple of weeks to reach my goal of finishing the novel by the date I set for myself. And I got a little messy and hurried towards the end (sorry, Koral, I know the last three chapters are a mess).


But that's why editing and editors were created.


Today I just cruised around in the real world. It was kind of fun. I cleaned the living room and the bedrooms, puttered around in the garden. Daffodils are spiking nicely. Sunflowers have sprouted. The herbs are looking great. Oh, my French Tarragon came back! I was certain it was a goner, but it apparently was just hibernating. All hail the green world!


So, I've just been listening to Steely Dan, cleaning, and organizing bills. Jeesh, what a disaster. So many receipts to enter, and statements to reconcile. Oh, well. That's our world.


Instead of a two handed Vorpal sword of fire to battle a dreaded Thuthnog, I must battle Microsoft Money, and the dreaded mountain of receipts.


But you know...


It's a laughable damnation.


I snickered to myself last night just as we crawled into bed.
Annette had to know what was up. I told her about a scenario that had just crept into my head, and it really tickled me. I don't know if it's going to make the cut. But still. Only three days have gone by and Wealdland is already skulking back into my head.


And I'll tell you the truth... Why the hell not.


I have no idea how The Lord of Lightning is going to develop. I know how it's going to end. I knew that way back when I started The Last Elf of Lanis. But how we get there... It's as much of a mystery to me, as it is to you.


But...


That's why Wealdland is so fun. You never know what's coming next. And, damn me, if the next thing behind the next tree won't surprise and delight you, as much as it'll surprise and delight me.




Cheers,


Kurt




Oh, and... Has the real world always been this dusty?  yeesh...

1 comment:

Eric Lawson said...

I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns and finishing the book. But I have to tell you, holding the author's copy of The Last Elf of Lanis... I have to admit, I'm uber jealous of the sheer size of the world and quaity of the writing. This week: enjoy the sunshine.